Experts Urge Governor to Declare Public Health Emergency, Warn of Risks of Epidemic Outbreak Without Immediate Remediation Effort
Leading experts in public health and vector pest control today released an explosive report showing an explosion in the rodent population in California cities across the state and a spike in dangerous diseases such as Typhus.
“California is being overrun by rodents – and without immediate emergency action by state and local government, we face significant economic costs and risk a public health crisis,” said Carl DeMaio, chairman of Reform California.
Among the findings:
· California is experiencing a massive spike in its rodent population that is both measured by available data sets and observed by field personnel.
· Increase in California’s rodent population is not explained by environmental factors – but is directly related to the decision by some government officials to ban effective rodent control methods and a spike in the state’s homeless population.
· Rodent infestations fueling an increase in reported cases of dangerous diseases such as Typhus – current rate of increase in cases raises concern regarding possible public health epidemic.
The report also outlines 4 recommendations for remediation framed by the expert panel, including:
- Declare a Public Health Emergency, Work with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and Require Local Governments Conduct Immediate Assessments
- Require Remediation Plans Be Formulated and Executed by Local Governments
- Launch Public Education Campaign For Businesses and Residents to Mitigate Risk Factors
- Oppose and Reject Assembly Bill 1788 – A Misguided Attempt to Ban Best Practice Pest Control Tools That Will Be Needed to Fight the Rodent Infestation
“Instead of acting to address this developing crisis, California state lawmakers are just days away from passing legislation (AB1788) to ban the best rodent control tools and methods available and would require use of less effective so-called green alternatives. It’s madness!,” DeMaio concluded.
The full report is available for distribution here
About Reform California
Formed in 2003 by former San Diego City Councilmember Carl DeMaio, Reform California is dedicated to holding state and local government accountable and fighting costly and unfair taxes, mandates, and fees because working families cannot afford a higher cost of living — and state and local politicians already have enough of our money. For more information, visit reformcalifornia.org